Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Family Heirlooms

paintbrush



I know it's not big news, but here's another post about one of the brushes I use. Say you're excited?





My mother was an artist too; painter, sculptor and sometime potter. I inherited her brushes: all high-quality; some unusable; most, antiques! This brush stole my heart, if you can say that about a brush. I wanted you to see all the years of paint that are built up on the handle. It's beautiful.



I don't use it as much these days; I tend to use flat, wide brushes. And it seems about time to retire it. Maybe I'll have a little ceremony for it, along with the "Harvey Berin" pencil (from one of my mother's fashion illustration jobs in the 1940's)...
these are my family heirlooms.

3 comments:

heidi said...

Happy Birthday OLD chum ;-)
Hope all is well,
LOVE the paint brush shots!!!!
xxxooooh

A Journey Illustrated said...

I think you should use it in a piece...an ode.

melissa lanitis gregory said...

Heidi: thanks for the b'day wishes...and for indulging my fondness for the old brush.

Kristen: I have saved a bunch of my mom's old brushes to use somehow, someday...