Monday, January 7, 2008

Art and...

Organization.

I want to talk about this topic in January, because after the holidays, which forces a break in the momentum of our previous year, it's time to regroup. And that is what I THINK I've been doing, although maybe I'm just continuing to disrupt my momentum. How much time do we need to regroup, and when does it turn into procrastination?

I told the UA last week that first and foremost this year, it's about doing the work. Making art. So what did I do? I spent all of last week organizing the studio. First, I looked back at last year's goals, and wrote up a list for 2008. I made up a daily schedule. I made up a weekly schedule. So far, so good. Then, I went through my notebook and my file cabinet. What I found during this process, to my nauseation (hey, I made up a word!) was the same notes, over and over. It seems I write alot about what I want to do. And then I write about it some more... Then maybe some more notes in a different notebook, outlining the same ideas...

It really brought me up short. The ideas are good ones (with a few stupid ones too, the ones that sounded good at 4am) but now it's time to DO. Stop taking notes and organizing notes, and talking about the notes and MAKE ART.

Hmmmm....

What are your organization rituals at this time of year? And do they help you, or keep you from doing other things?

3 comments:

A Journey Illustrated said...

Yay for making art!

Here's what I did at the beginning of the year (aka now): I wrote my goals, I wrote of list of steps to complete those goals, I cleaned off my desk, and started a new project from my ongoing idea list. Sometimes there is avoidance along the way, but I always feel better once I start a new project. If I stall out before I start the new project I'm done for!

Gotta go draw!

melissa lanitis gregory said...

It sounds so simple when you say it! I basically did the same thing, but I'm clearing out the file cabinet too. Part of my confusion stems from being a bit fuzzy on my goals, and maybe having too many...and therefore not being able to clearly articulate the steps. This is important; I need to prioritize and clarify the goals. But the primary thing is to do the work, and I started on a project today.
You're right; it DOES feel better.

melissa lanitis gregory said...

ps!
Thanks for being so articulate and for making so much sense.